Department of History
Sm. Jayasree Boler (Mukhopadhyay) (HOD)
Dr. Milan Kanti Das
Ms. Priti Sinha
Sm. Soma Sarkar
Sri Ananda Kumar Das
Sm. Soma Sarkar (Jr.)
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of History has some of the most distinguished faculty among the History teachers of the University of Calcutta. Class room interactions are an occasion to cultivate a range of related skills such as those of writing, critical thinking, as well as the ability to discerningly wade through innumerable details and complex arguments. The department implemented online teaching in face of COVID19 to facilitate teaching-learning process; hopefully, in future online mode would complement classroom experience. Learning Outcome-based Curriculum Framework (LOCF) approach is employed to structure the teaching-learning experience in a more student-centric manner. An attempt is made to engage students with multiple perspectives on various historical themes and to enable them to analyse those perspectives critically. The exploration of past issues and of historical processes help students acquire necessary tools to tease out the underlying socio-political significations of the present and the past, of the mundane as well as the extraordinary.
Apart from having these specific academic objectives, the broader aim of the Department is to help students to become socially-aware citizens so that they can use the conceptual resources provided by the study of the distant as well as proximate past (of India and of the wider world) to better understand the universe around them, and to negotiate with that world in a socially responsible manner, deploying, among other things, the analytical techniques offered to them by classroom teaching and interactions. Pedagogic methods followed in the Department are tailored to these broader civic concerns.
History Honours graduates have made a mark in almost every possible field in their careers. They have excelled in diverse fields such as bureaucracy and management, theater, painting and dance, mass communication, NGOs, higher studies and research, and a whole range of other activities in India and abroad. But, in whatever capacity and career they might be, they have made a reputation for being sensitive and thinking beings.
LIST OF FACULTY MEMBERS:
1. The Department could focus more on consultancy or consultative programmes as well as MOUs with organizations like National Museums, etc under which students could for summer courses
2. More statics and data of the students progression after graduating from the department could be maintained.
3. Heritage walks could be conducted by the department. This practice could be developed for spreading environmental consciousness among the students
4. The department could start a museum within the college that will benefit the students and faculty members across all the disciplines.
5. To introduce interdisciplinary programmes
6. To introduce peer learning programme, where students will help each other out.
7. To maintain a systematic diary of internal evaluation
|Sl No||Title||Routine View|
|Sl No||Title||Notice View|
PREPARATION OF E-LEARNING MATERIALS/CONTENT
The department implemented online teaching in face of COVID 19 to facilitate teaching-learning process. Since 23rd March 2020 all the faculty members of the department have been taking virtual classes on Google Meet platform. WhatsApp groups have been created where study material and audio messages are sent to the students.